Special Focus Program (Adopting Two Children)
Waiting Children who have multiple and or more significant medical needs are designated by the China Center for Children’s Welfare & Adoption (CCCWA) as “Special Focus.” This designation is also applied when a child’s file has been available on the Shared List for more than 30 days with no agency locking in the child’s file.
For Waiting Children whose files are marked as Special Focus:
- The CCCWA will allow a family to adopt TWO
Unrelated children, simultaneously or successively
with the same dossier, as long as at least one of the
two children is a Special Focus child (please
see “Concurrent Special Focus Adoptions”
- Families who have completed a China adoption in
The last 12 months with CCAI may use a COPY
of that dossier to adopt a Special Focus child (please
see “Returning Special Focus Adoptions” on the
More than half of the Waiting Children whose files are assigned to CCAI by the CCCWA through our agency-specific Designated List are considered Special Focus. We can also petition the CCCWA for Special Focus children’s files from the shared list to be designated to our agency’s individual list for three months.
We wish to stress that adopting two children on the same dossier may not be right for every family! Families interested in this possibility should very carefully evaluate their strengths and resources and talk to their social worker about their ability to adopt not only two children, but two children with medical condition(s), at the same time.
The “tricky” part about adopting two children will always be TIMING – the question of whether a second child match will come quickly enough after the first child match to avoid significantly delaying BOTH children. Remember, the match timeline is entirely dependent on your openness to a child’s age, gender, and medical needs.
Please make sure your Medical Conditions Checklist indicates your desire to be matched with two children, and also be sure to discuss your preferences with your social worker, so that your home study and immigration approval can reflect approval for TWO children.
Families may also seek our services if they are interested in a special needs child’s profile listed on our Waiting Child Profiles web page or possibly a profile listed on other agencies’ or charitable organizations’ photo listings.
Concurrent Adoption Scenarios
Match Before Dossier is Logged In
If you are matched with a Special Focus child before your dossier is logged in, a second child must also be Special Focus.
- If both children are matched before the dossier is logged in, both children’s acceptance letters (LOAs) and Travel Approvals (TAs) should arrive at the same time.
- If the second child is identified AFTER the dossier is logged in, you must prepare a copy of your original dossier to match to that second child, which will get its own, brand-new Log-In Date. You must lock a second Special Focus child very shortly after your dossier is logged in in order to avoid delaying your first child, so there may be only a very small window to accept a second child and still be able to travel at the same time for both children.
- If you are open to making two trips to China, you may accept a second child any time prior to the finalization of your first child’s adoption, and still be able to use a copy of that original dossier.
Match After Dossier is Logged In
You may accept children in any order, though if your LID-only child is matched first, there will be a much smaller “window” in which to accept a Special Focus child and still travel at the same time for both children.
- If you are matched with a Log-In Date (LID) Only child first, your original dossier must be matched to that child. You may subsequently accept a Special Focus child and prepare a copy of your original dossier to be matched to that second child. You must lock a Special Focus child very shortly after your LID-only child in order to avoid delaying your first child, so there may be only a very small window to accept a second child and still be able to travel at the same time for both children. However, if you are open to making two trips to China, you may accept a Special Focus child any time prior to the finalization of your LID-only child’s adoption, and still be able to use a copy of that original dossier.
- If you are matched with a Special Focus child first, you will have the option of preparing a dossier copy to be matched to that child, leaving your original dossier valid for another child match. You can leave your original dossier valid indefinitely – even for years down the road! – or you may then accept a second child (either LID-only or Special Focus). In order to travel at the same time for both children, your second child must be locked fairly soon after your dossier copy is logged in.
Returning Special Focus Adoptions
Families who have adopted from China within the last year may use a copy of their previous dossier to adopt a Special Focus child. You must “lock” a Special Focus child’s file (submit Letter of Intent, etc.) with the SAME adoption agency before the ONE-YEAR anniversary of your previous adoption. Once you’ve accepted a particular Special Focus child, you will need to have a home study update (including any necessary supporting documentation, possibly including but not limited to: employment/financial statements, physical exams, and police clearances, etc.) and obtain new immigration approval, to complete your dossier copy.
Please contact CCAI’s Waiting Child Program at email@example.com to receive a Special Focus Information Packet
containing more information!